Both sliding rail doors and sliding garage door have one thing in common: both have a spring system. If any of the springs that help lift the garage door are damaged, you will have difficulty opening the door. The wear of these springs is normal, and there comes a time when you really have to repair them, or even replace them. Here are some tips for repairing the garage door spring.
- Know which spring is damaged. There are two types of springs in the garage door. The biggest one on the garage opening is called torsion spring. These springs come in pairs and if you get damaged, you’ll have to replace them both. But don’t think you can do this on your own. Repairing or replacing a torsion spring without professional help can result in a tragedy for you, or even death. If the torsion spring is damaged, call a professional who knows how to do it.
- The other set of springs is known as Extension springs (also called side Mount Springs), and are those that extend along the left and right upper door tracks. These springs help lift the garage door.
You can repair or replace these springs with help. Don’t try to do it alone.
1. Open the garage door completely. If you have to lift it, ask for help. Then lock the door tracks on the lower roller running the track with a tightening screw. Remove the damaged spring. In turn, check for any other damaged components such as bearings, pulleys and cables.
2. Buy a new set of extension springs, preferably a pair. You will also need to replace the opposite spring. An imbalance will be generated in the force of the opposite spring if it only replaces one.
3. Install the new spring as above. If you can ask someone who knows how to repair the garage door springs to make sure the installation is successful. Make sure the spring is not stretched more than one inch.
Gallery of Learn How to Repair the Garage Door Spring
Tags: #garage door spring